Names and photographs of the Council members are displayed in the church foyer for reference.
Our Parish Pastoral Council consists of our Pastor together with a group of parishioners chosen by the parish community. They share responsibility for building a vital Christian Community focused on living and promoting God’s values of love, justice and peace.
Our Parish Pastoral Council endeavours to:-
- Grow in knowledge and awareness of what is already happening in our Parish
- Encourage and support the continuing good work of existing groups within our Parish
- Search out and respond to the hopes, ideas, needs and concerns of parishioners
- Evaluate carefully information gathered in order to make decisions that reflect the values of the Gospel and the teachings of the Church
- Set long and short-term pastoral goals for our Parish
- Provide opportunities for parishioners to grow in their relationship with God and with each other
- Develop, implement and improve parish initiatives that assist parishioners in their continuing efforts to live as effective Christians in society.
Membership consists of our Pastor; appointed representatives – from among others the Finance Council, the Liturgy Committee and the School Board of Trustees; together with other members selected by the parish community.
The pastor may from time to time appoint, ex officio, a person to the Council for their expertise.
Responsibilities of Members
It is expected that each member of the Parish Pastoral Council will:-
- Provide pastoral leadership to the parish community congruent with Gospel values and the teaching of the church
- Attend the regular meetings of the Parish Pastoral Council
- Provide input to deliberations of the Council
- Assist with the implementation of Council decisions
- Develop a spirit of enquiry and the ability to listen and understand the issues affecting the lives of parishioners
- Represent the Parish Pastoral Council when required (e.g. other Parish meetings, regional or diocesan meetings)
- Provide prayerful support to other members of the Parish Pastoral Council
There is a minimum of ten monthly meetings of the Parish Pastoral Council each year held on the 1st Thursday of the month in the Parish meeting room from 7.30pm onwards. Anyone may attend these meetings.
The agenda for each meeting is finalised by the Executive and circulated to Council members in advance of the meeting, together with the minutes of the previous meeting and any notes or other relevant material required
Sub-committees or short term Task Forces are set up for specific purposes and with a definite time limit. These groups always include at least one member of the council.
Decision Making Process
Is by means of consensus with each member contributing to the final decision of the Council.
Communication with the Parish
The Council reports to the parish community after every monthly meeting and also regularly through the Parish Newsletter and welcomes responses from the community. The Parish Secretary will also gladly pass on any feedback to the Council if needed.